May 30, 2024

Non-Immigrant Visas of Thailand

Thailand is absolutely “The Land of Smiles” and a center of attractions in Southeast Asia with its ideal Islands, beautiful paradise white sand Beaches as well as one of the most cheerful and historic Capitals in the World, Bangkok. The great smiling people, subtropical weather and food add to the magic that undoubtedly leads to one of the most memorable vacations in the Kingdom of Thailand.
The four Main Types of Visas issued by the Thai Government to Foreigners:
1- Tourist Visa, which is issued to foreigners entering the Kingdom of Thailand for Tourism or Leisure Purposes.
2- Transit visa, issued to foreigners entering the Kingdom of Thailand to travel onward to a third country.
3- SMART Visa: This visa is issued to Highly Skilled Foreigners who wish to work or invest in one of the 10 Targeted Industries.
4- Non-Immigrant Visa of Thailand
The Non-Immigrant Visa of Thailand issued to foreigners who wish to apply for this type of visa to live Long-Term in the Kingdom of Thailand or to travel for purposes other than tourism or transit and leisure, such as Work and Business, Study, Investment, Medical Treatment, Association with Thai Spouses, etc.
More specifically, to apply for the appropriate type of non-immigrant visa for Thailand suitable for the purpose of travel to the Kingdom of Thailand.
These Types of Visas are issued to people who want to enter the Kingdom of Thailand for Specific Purposes, which are divided into the Following different Types of Visas:
1- Category “F” Visa: this is the Thai non-immigrant visa issued to foreigners who hold an Ordinary Passport and are Traveling for Official Purposes, such as for a Government Agency, Embassy or Consulate, International Organization, or State-Owned Enterprise in Thailand.
2- Category “B” Visa:
It is the famous category and known as the Non-Immigrant “B” Visa (Single Entry / Multiple Entries), which is specially issued to the people who are traveling for the purpose of conducting business, business relations as well as working with any institution otherwise. This visa is a Single Entry Visa for the Kingdom of Thailand and its validity is for 90 days from the date of issuance, like the Tourist Visa, but you can extend your stay by going for a visa run at the border or near the country. However, this visa also facilitates obtaining a Work Permit and opening a Bank Account at any Bank in Thailand. Upon entering the Kingdom of Thailand, Visa Holders may contact the Thai Immigration Department to obtain an extension of stay and a re-entry permit. However, the Visa holder must Submit a so-Called 90-day report every 90 days to the relevant Immigration Office or Online in Thailand.
3- Non-Immigrant Visa for One Year
This type of visa is often a Multiple Entry Visa for Thailand and its valid for use for a Period of 1 year, which may stay per entry for 90 days, which means every 90 days you must go to the Border of almost Country and have your Visa Stamped at Immigration for Ongoing Visa.
The Thai Marriage Visa can be obtained when a foreigner is Married to a Thai Citizen, it is with the same level of visa with the Non-Immigrant Visa “B” or Non “B” Visa to work, but the Thai Marriage Visa is exclusively for those who have Thai Wife or Spouse Citizen.
4-Visa “IM” Category, this is a Thai Non-Immigrant Visa issued to those who want to enter Thailand for Investment Purposes, which must be approved by the relevant Government Agencies as well as the Ministries of Thailand.
5- Visa “ED” Category, which is the Non-Immigrant “ED” visa issued for Educational Purposes. If you wish to study at a Thai Educational Institution, you must apply for a Thai Non-Immigrant “ED” visa, which is known as the Thailand Student Visa. In addition, if you wish to attend a Conference, Seminar, Project or Training Course, you may also apply for a Non-Immigrant Visa “ED” for this purpose.
6- Category “M” Visa, If you want to work in the Kingdom of Thailand as a Journalist, Reporter or Film Producer, you can apply for this type of Visa. However, as a Film Producer, you need to get prior approval from the Thai Film Bureau, and as a Journalist or Reporter, you need to get Approval from the Information dept. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand.
7- Category “R” Visa, This type of Non-Immigrant Visa “R”, also known as “R-A” Visa, is issued for the purpose of Religious Activities. You need this type of Visa if you want to Travel to Thailand for Missionary Work or other Religious Activities that have been Approved by the relevant Government Agencies.

8- Visa “RS” Category, This visa category is called Non-Immigrant “RS” Visa issued to foreigners who wish to travel to Thailand to conduct scientific research, train or teach in a research institute in Thailand.
9- Visa “EX” Category, This visa category is known as Non-Immigrant “EX” Visa, which means this type of visa is issued to highly skilled foreigners who want to enter the Kingdom of Thailand to work as experts and professionals.
10- Visa Category “O”, This type of Non-Immigrant “O” Visa is issued to various individuals for the following reasons:
(i)– For the purpose of following the Thai spouse, which is known as Thai Marriage Visa.
(ii)– For traveling with a family member for work or study purposes.
(iii)– For work in a state-owned enterprise or social service agency.
(iv)– For travel to work in someone’s household for diplomatic reasons.
(v)– For the purpose of medical treatment.
(vi)– For work as a candidate or witness in a judicial proceeding/case.
(vii)– For working as a sports coach as required by the Thai government.
11. “O-A” and “O-X” Visa Categories,
These two types of non-immigrant visas “O-A” and “O-X” are known as retirement visas, which are differentiated as follows:
(i)– The Non-Immigrant “O-A” visa, which is issued to aliens over the age of 50 from all countries and is valid for a maximum of one year and is renewable.
(ii)– The Non-Immigrant “O-X” visa, which is issued to aliens over the age of 50 from all countries and has a validity of 5 years and is renewable for an additional five years.
Non-Immigrant Visa Requirements – Supporting Documents.
1– A passport that must have at least 6 months of validity remaining and at least two blank visa pages. If you are applying for an annual visa, the passport should still be valid for at least 18 months.
2– The completed and signed visa application form, which you can download from the Embassy or Consulate website if you are applying, or obtain there if you are applying in person.
3– A passport size photo of you with the following specifications:
(i)-White background
(ii)-Taken within the last six months.
(iii)– You must have a neutral facial expression and look straight ahead
(vi)– Your entire face must be fully visible
(vii)– A head covering is allowed only for religious purposes, and even then only if it does not obscure the face.
(viii)– Eyeglasses are allowed only if they do not cover the eyes and do not have heavy frames
4– Proof of sufficient financial resources for the duration of your stay. You will need 20,000 Thai Baht if traveling alone and 40,000 Thai Baht if traveling as a family.
5– Payment of the Thai non-immigrant visa fee. 6- Additional documents depending on the purpose of your stay.
Note: If you are already in Thailand with another visa, you can apply to the relevant immigration office in Thailand to change the category to another type of non-immigrant visa. However, this does not apply to holders of a Thai Visa on Arrival.
(a)- While in Thailand on a Non-Immigrant Visa:
If you are entering Thailand on a non-immigrant visa, depending on the purpose of your visa category, you will be required to file a 90-day report with Thai immigration authorities. So, if you are living in Thailand continuously for all 90 days, you will need to file a report on your current address until it is no longer changed. Only in the case of the Thailand visa SMART is there an exception that holders of this visa must report their stay annually rather than every 90 days.
(b)- Apply for Renewal of a Non-Immigrant Visa:
Non-immigrant visas are generally issued to foreigners for a maximum of 90 days. Those who wish to stay longer in the Kingdom of Thailand may apply for a one-year visa extension at any relevant immigration office in Thailand. Before the visa expires for another extension, you can apply again for a one-year extension if you meet the visa extension requirements to continue living in Thailand. If you have lived in Thailand for at least three years with a visa extension, you can apply for a permanent residence permit for Thailand.
(c)- Apply for the Re-entry Permit:
After extending your visa, you will also need to apply for a re-entry permit to leave and re-enter the Kingdom of Thailand without invalidating your visa. However, if you do not obtain a re-entry permit before leaving the Kingdom of Thailand, your one-time entry will be used up and you will not be able to re-enter the Kingdom unless you obtain a new visa. The Thai re-entry permit can be issued to a person for a single entry or for multiple entries.
(d)- Non-Immigrant Visa Fee and Validity Period:
The processing fee for the Non-Immigrant Visa depends on various factors, such as the local currency, the duration of the visa, and the embassy/consulate where the visa is applied for.        However, you’re expected to pay approximately the same visa fee:
(i)– For a one-time non-immigrant visa, the fee is approximately 2,000 baht for a validity of three months.
(ii)– For a multiple entry non-immigrant visa, the fee is approximately: 5,000 baht with a validity of one year.
However, the multiple entry visa can be issued for up to one year in some cases as well as for business or retirement, even if you obtain a multiple entry visa from Thailand, then you cannot live in the Kingdom of Thailand more than 90 days per entry.
(e)- Amount to Carry When Entering Thailand
(i)– 20,000 Baht per person (ii)- 40,000 Baht per family
NOTE: The amount to carry is the amount of money that a traveler is required to have with him/her when entering the Kingdom of Thailand, or the related documents that must be paid or exchanged for an amount equal to the exchange rate of the Thai currency and not lower than that specified.
NOTE: Foreigners who wish to extend the length of stay of their visa or change the type of visa in the Kingdom of Thailand. They must submit an application to the Immigration Department, Government Center, Chaeng Watthana Road, Bangkok, by calling 02-141-9889 or visiting the website Approval for visa extension and change of visa type is at the discretion of the authority.

3 thoughts on “Non-Immigrant Visas of Thailand

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Translate »